UNO mens soccer with a pair of OT losses


September 2nd, 2014

Omaha, NE – On Friday night, the University of Nebraska at Omaha men’s soccer team officially opened the 2014 home season with a game against Santa Clara.


The Mavericks didn’t take long to make their mark on the young soccer year, scoring a pair of goals within 93 seconds of each other to take a 2-0 lead. Senior forward Vance Rookwood scored the first goals for the Mavs and sophomore midfielder Mark Moulton, who assisted on the Rookwood’s goal, scored the second.

There were a bevy of fouls called on UNO in the opening half; the Mavs had 13 to be exact. The momentum UNO started with, the pace at which they were playing and the sharpness they displayed slowly gave way to a methodical run by Santa Clara. First, the Broncos pulled within a goal when Santa Clara’s Carlos Delgadillo scored. Then in the final minute of regulation, the Broncos scored the equalizer to send the game to overtime. Scoreless through the first overtime period, the game was sent to a second overtime period, where Santa Clara was awarded a penalty kick. The Broncos’ Dylan Autran came through big scoring the game winner in the 108th minute and UNO lost the heart-breaker 3-2.

Sophomore midfielder Mark Moulton had a goal and an assist against Santa Clara. (Photo Courtesy UNO Athletics)

Sophomore midfielder Mark Moulton had a goal and an assist against Santa Clara. (Photo Courtesy UNO Athletics)

Sunday’s game pitted the Mavs against the Cardinal of Stanford University. Stanford played Creighton Friday to a 2-0 loss at Morrison Stadium in Omaha. On Sunday, the threat of storms first pushed up the start of the game an hour, then after playing only 12 minutes both teams experienced a three-hour delay as lightening and rain hit Omaha.

Stanford’s Bobby Edwards scored off a deflection in the 42nd minute, giving the Cardinal a 1-0 lead. UNO would answer with a goal by junior midfielder Logan Mendez in the 68th minute, to tie the game up at 1-1. Stanford’s Eric Verso would score, in the 95th minute to give Stanford the win. Two games, two overtime losses. UNO head Coach Jason Mims was tired after the Stanford game but voiced his appreciation for his players.

“It was an incredible weekend and an incredible day,” Mims said. “For us it was a tale of two half’s, Stanford was the better team in the first half, we came out strong in the 2nd. We changed the game plan a bit and I thought we were fantastic. We tied the game up, and then got some confidence; I thought we were going to get another goal. But for us to play two OT games in one weekend, I am proud of the guys.“

UNO has Cincinnati coming to Caniglia field Friday at 7pm and Belmont Sunday at 2pm, also at Caniglia Field.

Comments are closed.

©2023 KVNO News