Soprano prodigy comes to Omaha

By

August 24th, 2011

Omaha, NE – A soprano prodigy is taking the stage Friday night at the Holland Performing Arts Center.

Jackie Evancho flew into stardom with a breathtaking performance on America's Got Talent (Photo credit PBS)

She’s just 11 years old, but Jackie Evancho can sing with a pitch-perfect sound and a big voice. Evancho sprang on to the music scene during last summer’s edition of the NBC reality series America’s Got Talent, where she wowed the audience with a powerful operatic performance of Puccini’s “O Mio Babbino Caro.” Sharon Osbourne, a judge on the show, summed up her performance:

“When you first started to sing, I thought, is this for real? I can’t believe that from this tiny body this huge, mature voice that you have. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Evancho took second place on the show, and has now begun performing around the country. A native of Pittsburgh, she sang the National Anthem at the Pittsburgh Pirates home opener last year.

Jackie Evancho, 11, performing "Angel" on PBS' Great Performances (Photo credit PBS)

Speaking on Pittsburgh’s WPXI, Evancho explained her love for classical music and performance. “I never really had a pop voice,” she said. “I usually had a classical voice. But even if I had a pop voice, I would have gone with classical, because with classical, you’re able to show emotion with it.”

Evancho is now on tour, with a stop in Omaha on Friday, to promote her album “Dream With Me.”

Watch Jackie Evancho perform on PBS’ Great Performances:

13 Responses

1. Jerry Carroll says:

Just two small corrections, she is 11 now, and the new album is “Dream With Me”

I’m sure the Omaha audience will love her. 😀

2. Andre E Samson says:

Jackie is now 11 years old, born April 9, 2000.

3. William says:

Jackie is 11 now. Her birthday is on April the 9th same as mine. If you haven’t heard Jackie Evancho sing well… Omaha, you are in for a treat.

4. polarbytes says:

Just wish to correct a couple of things. First, Jackie is 11, also,
    she was on America’s Got Talent in 2010. Finally, her concert tour is in promotion of her current CD release, Dream With Me, which is her second major label release, and her third CD. O Holy Night was released in Nov. of 2010.

5. Andre E Samson says:

More corrections:
    Evancho sprang on to the music scene during LAST summer’s edition of the NBC reality series America’s Got Talent
    Evancho is now on tour, with a stop in Omaha on Friday, to promote her CURRENT CD “DREAM WITH ME” RELEASED ON JUNE 14, 2011.

6. Linda Heathman says:

Who in the world wrote this article? Everything about it is wrong. She is 11, AGT was LAST summer, and she is promoting her cd DREAM WITH ME which came out on June 14 of this year. Oh Holy Night is her platinum album from LAST Christmas season.

7. Mark High says:

This angel has great white wings. What’s more is that her fans really love her. I know I do.

8. admin says:

Looks like we used some old information for this article. Our apologies for the inaccuracies. The article has now been updated. Thanks for the comments and criticisms.

9. UncleMike Davis says:

Thanks. The article looks accurate now and well written. Jackie is one of the finest singers to grace this planet in the past millennium or so, and our wish is that the entire planet find peace in her voice. Many have already. Most definitely a gift to us from GOD the Almighty.

• William Randall says:

I agree! She is either an angel or she has parents who are. I know we don’t see them all day every day, but the affection between the children and the parents and with each other is obvious.
      Whether or not she’s an angel, she is a gift from God!

10. Jim Morgan says:

Good work!

11. Mike Wilson says:

I saw Jackie in Chicago and if Omaha wasn’t so far, I’d go again in a heartbeat. Omaha is so blessed to have Jackie come to town. This is one beautiful child you don’t want to miss!

12. Ian says:

If you lucky folk in the Omaha area can get tickets to see Jackie, you really ought to rush out and get those tickets, as the Jackie ‘experience’ is not to be missed. You will treasure the memories – guaranteed!